GENERAL SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
The reading period for the Fall 2017 Issue and the 2017 Poetry Chapbook Contest is July 1 through July 31.
We seek poetry, creative non-fiction, fiction, book reviews, graphic literature, and comics that explore place and the natural environment, though we welcome any work that finds new meaning in the familiar and inspiration from the stuff of everyday life. We encourage you to read previous issues to get a better sense of the work we publish.
We only accept submissions via our ONLINE SUBMISSION MANAGER.
All submissions should include a biographical note and contact information (space is provided in the online submission form). Place titles of work in the “Submission Title” field, with titles separated by commas. You can abbreviate titles if they don’t fit in the space provided. Save all poems or prose pieces in one document before submitting. We prefer poetry and prose to be saved as a Word doc or docx file. Submissions that do not follow these guidelines will not be considered.
We acquire first North American serial rights for works we publish, which will be archived online and may be featured in special print editions. All rights revert to the author upon publication and may be reprinted, but we ask that we get acknowledgement as its place of initial publication.
We do not consider previously published work. Simultaneous submissions are fine, but if your piece is accepted elsewhere we ask you to withdraw or make a note of it in your submission by way of our online submission system.
Unfortunately, we cannot pay our contributors; however, we do our best to promote our authors and their work.
2017 POETRY CHAPBOOK CONTEST
Split Rock Review will publish the winning chapbook in early 2018. The winning poet will receive 15 contributor copies of the completed work.
- Only online submissions via Submittable will be considered. There is an entry fee of $12.00*.
- The collection as a whole must be unpublished, but individual poems may have been previously published in periodicals or anthologies.
- Submitting multiple manuscripts is fine with entry fees for each.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but poets must notify Split Rock Review immediately by withdrawing their manuscript via Submittable if it is accepted for publication elsewhere.
- Co-authored manuscripts are acceptable.
- Works of translations will NOT be considered.
- Submissions that are hateful, racist, sexist, unnecessarily obscene and vulgar, or bigoted toward any demographics will NOT be considered.
- No manuscript revisions can be considered during the course of the contest, but the winning poet will have an opportunity to make revisions prior to publication.
- The Split Rock Review editorial staff reads all the submissions thoughtfully and thoroughly, and the final judge is the editor.
- Split Rock Review aims to ensure an ethical contest with a transparent process. Poets should refrain from entering the contest if their relationship to the SRR editorial staff constitutes a conflict of interest; poets may not have studied with any member of the SRR editorial staff in full-time accredited courses within the last 3 years.
- For more information on what we publish, please review past issues of our magazine and the 2016 SRR poetry chapbook winner: Limits to the Salutary Effects of Upper-Midwestern Melancholy by Marc J. Sheehan.
- Manuscript layout must be 8.5” (height) by 5.5” (width) with .75 inch margins.
- Manuscripts must be between 18 to 24 pages in length.
- Pages must be numbered.
- No more than one poem per page.
- Submissions are read blind. No identifying information may appear on the pages of the manuscript.
- Include a title page, a table of contents, and an acknowledgements page (these pages are not included in chapbook page count). Please include specific acknowledgments if any of poems have appeared elsewhere. Indicate which poems have been previously published (i.e. title of poem) and by whom (name of publication), as we do consider unpublished individual pieces for possible publication in Split Rock Review.
*Split Rock Review is an independent, not-for-profit literary magazine. Entry fees help defray the costs of publishing the winning collection, marketing, and administering the submission manager and SRR website.
Please send one to five poems in a single Word document file (with a max of seven pages total per submission). Submit once per reading period. We do not accept translations, fantasy, or erotica.
FICTION & CREATIVE NON-FICTION
Each creative non-fiction and fiction story should be double-spaced and no longer than 2500 words in length. You may submit one to three stories in a single Word document file. Submit once per reading period. We do not accept fantasy, erotica, self-help, how-to, or YA.
GRAPHIC LITERATURE & COMICS
We accept graphic literature and comics that showcase a balance of both literary and artistic merit. We publish in black/white and color. We request that you keep files under 1MB. You may submit up to 10 files.
We accepts book reviews of poetry, non-fiction, fiction, and graphic literature from independent, regional, university, and avant-garde presses. We prefer writers to review books that have been published in the past year. We do not accept reviews of how-to, self-help, YA, fan fiction, erotica, fantasy, music, photography, or children’s books. Your review should be double-spaced and no longer than 2500 words in length.
We try to make decisions for magazine submissions within two months. However, response times may take a little bit longer. If you haven't heard from us after four months, first check with the submissions manager system and your email spam folder. If you still haven't heard from us, please send us a message using our CONTACT FORM.